Bartlett - Established 1884 in New York City

Commercial Properties

There are two types of energy certificate required for new and existing commercial buildings: Energy Performance Certificates that will be required on construction, sale or lease of all buildings by October 2008 and Display Energy Certificates (DEC) required for public buildings over 1000m2 from April 2008.

From April 2008 all newly constructed non-dwellings will require an Energy Performance Certificate and existing buildings with a floor area over 500m2 will require an EPC when sold or rented. The certificate will include an energy rating, as well as advice on how to make cost effective improvements to the building to make it more energy efficient. The property will get a rating from A to G, with A the best and G the worst.  From October 2008 the requirement for an EPC will be extended to all non-dwellings sold or rented (not just those over 500m2).


Display Energy Performance Certificates

Public buildings over 1000m2 occupied or part occupied by public authorities or by institutions providing public services and therefore frequently visited by the public, will require Display Energy Certificates (DECs). This form of certificate must be publicly displayed within the building and is different in form and content from an Energy Performance Certificate. Display certificates are produced using a different methodology and are based on actual energy usage over a three year period (if available). The building is given an operational rating which assesses how well it has been operated based on actual energy consumption information. Display Energy Certificates will come to come into effect from 6 April 2008 and must be renewed every year. This is in addition to the requirement for an EPC when a public building is constructed, sold or rented out.


What type of buildings need an EPC or Display certificate?

Energy Performance Certificates will be required upon construction sale or lease for all non-dwellings from small high street retailers and offices to larger scale commercial premises such as airports, shopping centers, office blocks and warehouses. Display Energy Certificates will be required for all public authority buildings and institutions providing a public service with a floor area over 1000m2 which would currently include council offices, schools, colleges, universities and hospitals and any other publicly owned buildings accessed by the public. The government is committed to extending this requirement to all large publicly owned buildings at some time yet to be announced.

Exemptions to the requirement for an EPC are:

• Places of worship
• Temporary buildings in use for less than two years, e.g. site offices
• Low energy demand buildings such as agricultural buildings, e.g. barns
• Stand alone buildings less than 50m2, e.g. sheds and summer houses

When are EPCs/Display certificates required?

Display Energy Certificates are required annually for all public buildings over 1000m2 from April 2008. Energy Performance Certificates will be introduced for non-dwellings upon construction, sale or lease from April 2008.

If you require any further information on how we can assist your business, please contact us.

Copyright 2005 Project Seven Development